Shots fired during armored car robbery on UH campus
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Gunfire erupted during an armored truck robbery, making for some scary moments at the University of Houston Friday morning.
Investigators are searching for the man who robbed the truck, and they believe he may have had accomplices.
"They jumped out, went to the lady, and told her to get out of the truck," recalled witness Emilliano Garcia. "She said are you playing, they put a gun to her. She got out."
The daring heist happened at the university center as students were walking to class. According to the FBI, a Loomis armored truck pulled up just before 8am. As one worker loaded up the ATM, witnesses say an armed man forced the pregnant driver out of the truck and took the wheel.
Garcia said, "The guy left the money at the ATM, started running, and started shooting, trying to shoot their tire out."
"'Hey, stop, stop, stop!' Only one shot and that's it," said witness Miguel James.
Witness Christian McGhee said, "Looked like it was in the movies."
investigators say the Loomis employee missed and the suspect got away with the armored truck, ramming into a pickup as he raced away.
"It's on my truck," said truck owner David Giles. "Why they gotta tear my stuff up?"
Investigators later found the armored truck in a nearby on-campus parking garage. The suspect was gone and so was an undisclosed amount of cash.
The FBI also found another vehicle at a Planned Parenthood center a few miles away. Tire tracks are still visible -- possibly, investigators say, signs of a getaway car.
Jimmy Kim with the Student Government Association said, "Personally, I'm concerned because I would like a safe and secure environment for all students to be here at the university."
The FBI says this is the 11th armored vehicle robbery in the Houston area this year, and that number is higher than usual. Anyone with information is asked to call authorities.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, pooja lodhia
- Violent House of Pies robbery linked to murder 42 min ago
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Four sent to hospital after gas leak at school
- Houston car thieves' wish list
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Vicious pet cat traps Oregon couple, who call 911 9 min ago
- 'Ban Bossy' campaign to empower girls to lead
- Mom accused of beating son with mop, bat
- More Houstonians using METRO system
- Wife charged in hubby's New Year's Eve murder
- Woman accused of preying on elderly man
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student