College student from Baytown fatally shot
BAYTOWN, TX (KTRK) -- A college student from Baytown is dead after a shooting involving a campus police officer at an off-campus apartment in San Antonio Thursday.
It's news that has shocked two communities -- the shooting death of 23-year-old Cameron Redus by an officer with the University of the Incarnate Word Police Department in San Antonio.
"He's not an aggressive person at all, so the story just doesn't really make sense to any of us," said Sarah Davis, one of Redus' longtime friends
"Cameron was the sweetest, kindest, gentlest person," added friend Annie Jones. "So compassionate."
Redus graduated from Baytown Christian Academy: where he was co-valedictorian. His mother is a teacher there.
Investigators say at 2:30am, an officer stopped Redus near the UIW campus for allegedly speeding and driving erratically. That officer -- Corporal Chris Carter -- got into a scuffle with Redus, and for reasons still undisclosed, fired several rounds, killing him.
The Baytown school where Redus was an academic standout issued this statement:
"Baytown Christian Academy is saddened by the news that a former student and the child of one of our employees was shot and killed in San Antonio last night. Our hearts and prayers go out to this young man's family."
The officer has several years of experience on the force and is on paid administrative leave, which is standard, pending the outcome of the investigation.
The Alamo Heights Police Department and the Texas Rangers are investigating the fatal shooting and we have learned the victim's family has now hired an attorney.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
baytown, local, katie mccall
- Gas station clerks shoot robbery suspect
- Helping military families, one child at a time
- Browns agree to deal with ex-Texan RB Tate
- Young artists put on unique display
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies
- Man killed by authorities 'Into the wild' hunter
- Sea survivor keeps promise he made to dead friend
- Daughter asks: Who did I bury?
- Workers recover Bible from rubble of NYC buildings
- Police: Man lived with dead wife for days
- Girl, 5, spends day at wrong school
- Search expands for missing Rice U student
- Siblings rescued 8 hours after getting lost in woods