Parts of Astrodome demolished
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Parts of the iconic Houston Astrodome were reduced to rubble Sunday night.
Three large ramp towers on the exterior of the dome were demolished with explosives around 9:30pm.
The circular ramp towers were some of the most recognizable pieces of the legendary stadium. They were constructed to accommodate the added seating capacity when 10,000 seats and luxury suites were added to the Astrodome.
The Texas Department of Transportation closed the South Loop near Astrodome during the demolition. When the towers were coming down, both eastbound and westbound lanes were brought to a halt as a precaution.
In November, voters rejected a $217 million renovation bond to save the Astrodome. Its fate remains in limbo as Harris County commissioners have not made a final decision on whether the dome will be razed.
Sunday's removal is a continuation of site work already underway at the stadium and was planned before the vote.
A Houston group could delay the demolition of the Astrodome.
The Houston Archaeological and Historical Commission will vote this week on making the dome a historical landmark. The vote is scheduled for Thursday.
Even if the commission approves the move, the city council will have the final say. A historic designation also would not stop the demolition. The vote would only delay it by 90 days.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast 31 min ago
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant
- Student caught with gun on campus
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?