Residents want voice in plans for Beacon Island
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- Big plans are in the works to start building on an island in League City. Beacon Island could soon be filled with townhomes, apartments and patio homes. But the plans aren't sitting well with everyone in the area.
More than 850 residential homes, condos and apartments are at issue. Not everyone thinks the city has taken appropriate measures to make sure that fits in the larger community.
Richard Levy and Tom Dill live in the Marina West communities, around the corner from Beacon Island. The 35 acre tree-covered island, once home to deer and a variety of birds, is now being developed to include midrise condos, apartments, townhomes and patio homes, with only one main thoroughfare to Marina Bay Drive.
"We'd like to see studies and the real impacts of the development known before the developer gets his approvals," Dill said.
Nearby restaurant owners see added traffic as a plus.
Louis Floridia, owner of Pomodoro's, said, "Most of the shopping center was pretty empty. Now we're starting to see people moving in next door, finally. Across the street they're moving in, so more people coming into the area, it's beneficial to everybody."
The key problem about what will become of Beacon Island, for Levy is about his lack of input as a nearby homeowner.
He said, "We want it to be developed, we want new neighbors. We just don't want it to be developed without our input."
Public meetings are scheduled to allow residents to offer input.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, sonia azad
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 16 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Two injured when SUV drives into barber shop
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects