Residents want voice in plans for Beacon Island
LEAGUE CITY, TX (KTRK) -- Big plans are in the works to start building on an island in League City. Beacon Island could soon be filled with townhomes, apartments and patio homes. But the plans aren't sitting well with everyone in the area.
More than 850 residential homes, condos and apartments are at issue. Not everyone thinks the city has taken appropriate measures to make sure that fits in the larger community.
Richard Levy and Tom Dill live in the Marina West communities, around the corner from Beacon Island. The 35 acre tree-covered island, once home to deer and a variety of birds, is now being developed to include midrise condos, apartments, townhomes and patio homes, with only one main thoroughfare to Marina Bay Drive.
"We'd like to see studies and the real impacts of the development known before the developer gets his approvals," Dill said.
Nearby restaurant owners see added traffic as a plus.
Louis Floridia, owner of Pomodoro's, said, "Most of the shopping center was pretty empty. Now we're starting to see people moving in next door, finally. Across the street they're moving in, so more people coming into the area, it's beneficial to everybody."
The key problem about what will become of Beacon Island, for Levy is about his lack of input as a nearby homeowner.
He said, "We want it to be developed, we want new neighbors. We just don't want it to be developed without our input."
Public meetings are scheduled to allow residents to offer input.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, sonia azad
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home