Masked men with guns smash into jewelry store
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Crooks in broad daylight use a hammer to smash their way into a southwest Houston jewelry store Wednesday.
It happened at India's jeweler store at the Southwest Freeway near Hillcroft and went unnoticed by some tenants.
"I didn't notice anything," said Roger Munoz, who owns a tattoo shop nearby. "I was inside and when I came out, I saw people and wondered if somebody kicked the door or something."
They did more than that two doors down at India Jewelers. At least three masked robbers broke their way in, shattering glass with a sledgehammer.
.15:17:08 "In the business and out of the business in two minutes," said Sgt. John Bedingfield with the Houston Police Department. "It was obviously a stolen van that was used that was recovered a few blocks down and we're processing that van for DNA evidence at this time."
A lot of merchandise was taken. What the robbers may not realize is that a lot of it was costume jewelry, as well as pieces of more value.
Police believe it was a professional robbery ring that staged this.
"It's the same routine, gloves and mask," said Bedingfield. "They come in, but at this point in time, we really don't have a lot to work with."
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, deborah wrigley
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
- Jenny McCarthy announces engagement on 'The View' 33 min ago
- Crews to assess damage to rig struck by large wave 54 min ago
- Argentine zoo shows off white tiger triplets
- VIRAL VIDEO: Kids try to use a Walkman
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos