Woman inside SUV when utility pole falls onto it
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A utility pole snapped and fell into the front windshield of a vehicle, narrowly missing the driver Wednesday night.
Bridget Butler was traveling eastbound in the 4600 block of Sharon when the pole came crashing down on the SUV. A neighbor who came out of her home after hearing the crash told Butler to stay in the vehicle, fearing the live wire would electrocute her if she walked away from the SUV.
"As bad as my heart wanted to help her out, I didn't even go close to her truck," said eyewitness Carrie Johnson.
Butler said, "I did exactly what she said, and she saved my life."
Utility crews arrived on the scene and cut the power out. Nearly half a dozen homes lost power. Butler was shaken up, but escaped from the SUV with only a few cuts to her hand.
Neighbors told Eyewitness News they have complained to Center Point Energy about the leaning power poles. CenterPoint is investigating the incident.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- 4 killed, 3 injured in Pasadena taxi cab wreck
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Captain of sunken SKorean ferry, 2 crew arrested 4 min ago
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case 3 min ago
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center 21 min ago
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Arrest made in fatal shooting of security guard
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies 37 min ago
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line 37 min ago
- Behold, the pizza cake 30 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290
- Teacher denies sex crimes in YouTube case 45 min ago
- Student reports near abduction while leaving school
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom 47 min ago
- Spurs fans wearing team spirit on their heads
2 min ago