Santa Fe missionaries hurt in rollover wreck in Africa
SANTA FE, TX (KTRK) -- Members of a Santa Fe church are stranded in Africa after getting into a bad traffic crash. And now, the community is trying to raise thousands of dollars to fly their members back on a medical transport.
It was a quiet Wednesday night at the Santa Fe Family Worship Center, but there was a sense of urgency in the small congregation.
"We need them to come back so they can get the proper care," said Julie Gregory, wife of the worship center's pastor.
Earlier this week, part of their missionary team was in an accident on the way to a village in Niger when their SUV rolled into a ravine.
"Devastating," said Henry Ochoa, father of one of the injured missionaries. "They call you and tell you one of your children was hurt and not knowing everything or how it happened."
A Texas missionary with the team died. Stephanie Clawson and Ruby Sprayberry, both Santa Fe mothers, were injured.
"Probably the most frustrating, helpless feeling a human being could ever feel to be 5,000 miles away from your wife when she's in pain," said Stephanie's husband, Kirk.
The pastor and two more members of their team are OK.
The women are being treated in a clinic with minimal medical equipment and just Tylenol to help with the pain. With back and pelvic injuries, they can't sit up or turn making commercial airline travel nearly impossible.
"They're going to have to lay flat and they need medical attention the whole time," said Gregory.
They are trying to raise about $75,000 in a very short time.
If you're interested in helping wtih the cost, donations can be made on the church's website.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, christine dobbyn
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home 16 min ago
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery 13 min ago
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her 52 min ago
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Photos: Home used in 'The Kardashians' for sale 15 min ago
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Girl bitten 100 times in New Zealand dog attack
- Police: Woman tried to abduct boy walking to school
- ABC13 gets exclusive tour of home after drug bust
- HFD vehicle involved in deadly accident
- Malaysian couple to hang for murder of maid
- Turkish PM threatens to ban Facebook, YouTube
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos