Police: Fleeing shoplifter causes crash in Pasadena that kills woman, injures child
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- A fleeing shoplifting suspect is accused of causing a deadly accident in Pasadena early Sunday.
It happened around 2am in the 6000 block of Fairmont Parkway near Nations.
According to Pasadena police, a woman was shoplifting from a Walmart when a security guard confronted her as she tried to leave.
"She had apparently taken some toys. I don't know exactly how much. I think it was less than $50 worth of little kiddie-type toys," police spokesperson Vance Mitchell said. "As she was fleeing the store, apparently one of the security guards did try to detain her and she pushed the security person to the ground."
After allegedly assaulting the security guard, police said the suspect jumped into a white pickup truck and sped away. Moments later, she reportedly ran a red light on Fairmont Parkway and T-boned a red Dodge Magnum.
The driver of the Dodge, who neighbors described as a hard-working woman, was dead when first responders arrived.
"The other car had the green light, and apparently this vehicle that had been involved in the shoplifting struck the vehicle in the side," Mitchell said. "As a result, a mother was deceased at the scene."
The victim's teenage daughter was taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital by Life Flight with hip injuries. At last check, she was stable.
Police tell us the accused shoplifter was also rushed to the hospital by Life Flight for minor injuries. I
nvestigators are still working to determine what criminal charges she the suspect face. No names have been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
pasadena, local, demond fernandez
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Oops! Noise complaint leads to drug bust
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 22 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Students learn science through unique course