Police: Fleeing shoplifter causes crash in Pasadena that kills woman, injures child
PASADENA, TX (KTRK) -- A fleeing shoplifting suspect is accused of causing a deadly accident in Pasadena early Sunday.
It happened around 2am in the 6000 block of Fairmont Parkway near Nations.
According to Pasadena police, a woman was shoplifting from a Walmart when a security guard confronted her as she tried to leave.
"She had apparently taken some toys. I don't know exactly how much. I think it was less than $50 worth of little kiddie-type toys," police spokesperson Vance Mitchell said. "As she was fleeing the store, apparently one of the security guards did try to detain her and she pushed the security person to the ground."
After allegedly assaulting the security guard, police said the suspect jumped into a white pickup truck and sped away. Moments later, she reportedly ran a red light on Fairmont Parkway and T-boned a red Dodge Magnum.
The driver of the Dodge, who neighbors described as a hard-working woman, was dead when first responders arrived.
"The other car had the green light, and apparently this vehicle that had been involved in the shoplifting struck the vehicle in the side," Mitchell said. "As a result, a mother was deceased at the scene."
The victim's teenage daughter was taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital by Life Flight with hip injuries. At last check, she was stable.
Police tell us the accused shoplifter was also rushed to the hospital by Life Flight for minor injuries. I
nvestigators are still working to determine what criminal charges she the suspect face. No names have been released.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
pasadena, local, demond fernandez
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1 22 min ago
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Girl, 3, injured in possible road rage shooting
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- Video: Preparing for canonization of Popes John...
- One man dead after carjacking in SW Houston
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Miss America: Reconsider student's punishment
- Celebrate Easter with animals at Houston Zoo
- Local designer's cultural dolls big hit in Houston area
- Several dogs rescued, others die in NE Harris Co. fire
- Local church donates shoes to needy Haitians