Family escapes house fire with their lives, but loses everything else
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Houston family escaped their burning home, thanks to the quick thinking of their neighbors. A woman says she woke up to banging on the window, and that's when she found the home on fire.
An east Houston family is OK after escaping from their burning home on Market Street at Schweikhardt Street. We're told five adults and one child were all sleeping when the fire started at about 6am towards the back of the home.
Teira Charles says she is just thankful her little girl was not hurt.
"It was a lot of smoke and when we ran through it was hard to breathe, but we made it out," Charles said.
Sammie Anderson recalled, "I heard my auntie beating on the window. And I was like, 'Baby, get up. Baby, get up. We got to go!'"
Firefighters were called to the house in the 4600 block of Market Street at 6am. When they arrived, flames had consumed the house. Firefighters did their best to keep those flames from burning a two story home right next door, but it did suffer some damage too.
Chief Justin Barns with the Houston Fire Department said, "Our original plan was to keep the flames from catching the two story on fire and making sure everyone was out of the one story."
Firefighters say this family is lucky they were all able to make it out safely without anyone being overcome by smoke. This family, while counting their blessings, also tells us it's not easy seeing their house gone.
"It hurts because there is a lot of memories in that house," Charles said.
"Everything is gone," Anderson said. "Everything is gone."
The fire is under investigation. Arson investigators believe it could have started in the kitchen. The Red Cross is assisting the family who lost their Christmas gifts and everything else in the home.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- weather: Storms moving through southeast Texas
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas 8 min ago
- Smash and grab burglar targets tattoo parlor
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe 11 min ago
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green
- Most insane job interview ever
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast 57 min ago
- No sew: Create Easter tutus on the cheap
- Firetruck plows into LA-area cafe; 15 hurt
- Robber who was homesick for prison to be sentenced
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church