Bear cubs get loose at Houston Zoo
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A couple of newcomers to the Houston Zoo took a walk on the wild side Thursday afternoon.
Two orphaned black bear cubs, Willow and Belle, came to the Houston Zoo about a month ago from California Fish and Game. Their mother had been killed by a hunter.
Zoo officials say the pair have been adjusting well to their surroundings. On Thursday, experts introduced the pair to the Andean bear habitat around noon.
About 25 minutes later, officials say both bears climbed over the top of the back wall of the habitat and were exploring a planter area that is at the top of the wall. Keepers issued an alert to the rest of the zoo and began procedures to get the bear cubs secured. One cub was secured and crated at approximately 1:15pm. The second cub was secured and crated at around 3:45pm. The keepers coaxed the bears into their crates with treats that included fruit and peanut butter.
Officials say at no time were the bears or zoo guests in any danger. The bears were never in a public area or an area that was accessible to the public. Zoo Rangers secured the area to ensure that both guests and bears were safe. Officials say guests were cooperative during the situation.
Keepers will assess the best way to secure the habitat so the bears can't get loose again. In the meantime, the cubs will live in the habitat's holding area.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Shots fired during armored car robbery 13 min ago
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped 8 min ago
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student 35 min ago
- No outings for Clear Lake drowning mom
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school 16 min ago
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged 43 min ago
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- McDonald's game plan to win back customers
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born