Galveston house fire displaces couple day before Christmas
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A Galveston family is having to stay with loved ones for Christmas after their home was damaged in a fire.
The fire erupted in the garage of a home in the 1000 block of 21st Street.
The good news is that the Bloom family is very close by, living just next door.
This is not the way Richard Bloom thought his Christmas Eve would look or feel.
"I was in tears earlier, crying about it," he said.
It started out as a quiet holiday morning.
"I was laying down on the couch watching TV," Bloom said.
Then, Bloom's wife Nancy smelled smoke coming from the vents. Bloom ran downstairs and opened the garage door.
"The garage was engulfed in flames," he said.
With no time to waste, Bloom grabbed his dog and wife and evacuated.
"We were still in our pajamas," he said.
And in the cold street, they stood and waited as their garage went up in flames. The fire spread through out the home.
"Both of our vehicles got burned to a crisp. My truck got burned up," Bloom said.
Pictures show Bloom's 2002 Ford truck being pulled out of the fire with its tires melted. His wife's car was not as bad but still smoked out.
Everything in his garage is gone, and his upstairs patio is charred.
"It's Christmas Eve and our neighbor Tammy -- who lives next door -- she was nice enough to let us stay in the house that she's about to put on the market," he said.
Bloom says he did not have homeowner's insurance. And he only had liability insurance on his truck, so he's not sure what his next move will be.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Police: 2 dead after car crashes into crowd in Austin 7 min ago
- Vigil held for women slain in Galveston County
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- Reliant Stadium may be changing names
- Woman delivers her own baby on drive to hospital
- Police: Man tried to run over triple amputee in N. Houston
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 3 dead
- Authorities investigating second auto-pedestrian in NW Harris...
- George Zimmerman's parents suing Roseanne Barr
- Man steals SUV with child inside, carjacks two others
- Elementary school seeks to offer kids nutritious food
- Video shows suspects setting fire to store full of puppies
- WWII vets help mark 100th anniversary of Battleship Texas
- River Oaks-area residents fighting to stop office building