Police: Driver crashes car into home, smokes cigarette while watching house burn
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A car accident turned into a fiery crash when it rammed into a west Houston house and burst into flames. Police say the man involved made it out without a scratch.
It happened just before midnight on Fall Valley at High Grove in west Houston.
Firefighters say a man lost control of his vehicle, drove through a yard and ended up inside the living room of a house. It didn't take long for the car and house to go up in flames.
"I could hear the screeching of the tires," neighbor Jo Shields said. "Then I heard people yelling and things falling, bricks and stuff out the house. I looked out the window and saw a very large fire very close to my house."
She and other neighbors say they saw the driver get out of the car. They claim he even pulled out a cigarette as he watched the fire grow. The homeowners, who just recently moved away, arrived soon afterward.
"The police called and said your house has been hit by a car and its on fire," the homeowner, Mimi Moore, said.
The suspect's car was towed away, and he has been charged with driving while intoxicated. He's been identified as 24-year-old James Kenton VanHook.
"Not anger or anything. Just hopeful that's it's a lesson that they'll learn. Hopefully they won't do that again. He could've killed somebody else or himself -- maybe a Christmas blessing in disguise," Moore said.
Repairs here won't be easy or cheap, but the good news here is that nobody was hurt.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, pooja lodhia
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into barber shop
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course