2-alarm apartment fire in southwest Houston sends child to hospital, leaves dozens homeless
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Dozens of people are looking for homes after a two-alarm fire destroyed theirs Saturday night in southwest Houston.
It happened around 6:15pm at the Falls of Westpark Apartments in the 6100 block of the Southwest Freeway at Westpark Drive.
According to the Houston Fire Department, the fire started in a first-floor apartment and quickly spread to adjacent units, even damaging several vehicles that were parked outside.
The last person out of the building was a five-year-old girl. She was believed to have been trapped, but she made it outside by the time firefighters arrived.
The girl was taken to an area hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. Fire officials said she was transported as a precaution as is doing OK. No other injuries were reported.
Authorities said nine units sustained fire and smoke damage, and between 25 and 30 people were displaced by the blaze.
A representative with the Red Cross was at the scene Saturday night, surveying the damage and trying to figure out where everyone will go. An apartment complex representative said some people may be able to stay in vacant units at the complex if they are available.
"We want to make sure that those that have been affected by the fire have a safe place to stay tonight, have clothes on their back and food to eat," Neal Harden with the Red Cross said. "If they have any health care needs, we will address those with our health care."
Meanwhile, HFD arson investigators are looking into the origin and cause of the fire.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Oops! Noise complaint leads to drug bust
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 45 min ago
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Students learn science through unique course