2-alarm apartment fire in southwest Houston sends child to hospital, leaves dozens homeless
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Dozens of people are looking for homes after a two-alarm fire destroyed theirs Saturday night in southwest Houston.
It happened around 6:15pm at the Falls of Westpark Apartments in the 6100 block of the Southwest Freeway at Westpark Drive.
According to the Houston Fire Department, the fire started in a first-floor apartment and quickly spread to adjacent units, even damaging several vehicles that were parked outside.
The last person out of the building was a five-year-old girl. She was believed to have been trapped, but she made it outside by the time firefighters arrived.
The girl was taken to an area hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation. Fire officials said she was transported as a precaution as is doing OK. No other injuries were reported.
Authorities said nine units sustained fire and smoke damage, and between 25 and 30 people were displaced by the blaze.
A representative with the Red Cross was at the scene Saturday night, surveying the damage and trying to figure out where everyone will go. An apartment complex representative said some people may be able to stay in vacant units at the complex if they are available.
"We want to make sure that those that have been affected by the fire have a safe place to stay tonight, have clothes on their back and food to eat," Neal Harden with the Red Cross said. "If they have any health care needs, we will address those with our health care."
Meanwhile, HFD arson investigators are looking into the origin and cause of the fire.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant
- Student caught with gun on campus
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- Photos: Know any of Harris Co.'s featured fugitives?
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area?
- Ike-damaged Galveston church gets facelift
53 min ago