Off-duty Prairie View A&M police officer fatally shoots man in northwest Harris County parking lot
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A confrontation between a man and an off-duty Prairie View A&M University police officer ended in a deadly shooting this weekend in northwest Harris County.
It happened just before 9pm at the parking lot of a Walgreen's on Veterans Memorial and Antoine Drive.
Harris County Sheriff's Office deputies said the officer was working an extra security job at the business when a known theft suspect walked inside.
"The officer saw a suspect come into the business that had been known to pass bad checks back and forth," HCSO Dep. Thomas Gilliland said.
According to investigators, the officer confronted the man in the parking lot, but the man struggled with him.
"The suspect fought with the officer," Gilliland said. "The officer then discharged his Taser, which was ineffective on the suspect."
At that point, the man reportedly got into his car and tried to drive away, nearly hitting the officer in the process.
"The officer discharged his weapon, striking the vehicle multiple times," Gilliland said.
Deputies said the suspect was shot at least once and lost control of the car. The vehicle crashed into a flower bed on the other side of the parking lot, and the man was pronounced dead at the scene.
We're told the officer was not in full uniform, but he was clearly identifiable as law enforcement.
"He was off-duty, wearing a jacket that has Prairie View Police on it," Gilliland said. "Patches on both sides."
No names have been released. Officials said the officer was not injured.
PVAMU released the following statement: "On Saturday, December 28, an off-duty Prairie View A&M University police officer was involved in a shooting while working an approved extra job. The officer has been placed on administrative leave until the investigation of the incident is complete."
This case remains under investigation. So far, the officer has not been charged with a crime. HCSO will be working to determine whether the officer was justified in using deadly force.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- It's Free Stuff Friday!
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- Man avoids $525 fine for soda refill 57 min ago
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally
- Twin boys fight off carjacker in San Antonio
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs 58 min ago
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Prosecutors seek arrest warrant for ferry captain
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Use natural dyes to decorate Easter eggs
58 min ago