Atascocita kids at center of Amber Alert found safe; dad arrested, charged
ATASCOCITA, TX (KTRK) -- Two Atascocita children who were the subject of an Amber Alert were found safe, authorities said. Their father, who's accused of pistol-whipping their mother, appeared before a judge Saturday.
Authorities say two-year-old Faith Adams and four-year-old Heidi Adams were found Friday night at their aunt's home in the 1700 block of Oak Manor Drive in Huffman. Paramedics were called to the scene as a precaution.
Their father, Charles Adams, was arrested at his parents' home in the 19000 block of Relay Road, which is about four blocks from the original scene. He is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.
It all started around 5pm Friday at their home in the 18000 block of Timber Way Dr. after deputies responded to a domestic violence call and found a woman beaten and bloody.
"He allegedly pistol-whipped the wife. She ran out of the house; she ran down about four houses from her residence and called the police," said Lt. Walter Stensland with the Harris County Precinct 4 Constable's Office.
Authorities at first thought the woman's husband and two children were inside her home, refusing to come out. A SWAT team moved in, attempting several times to communicate with the man by phone and loudspeaker. Later, they discovered no one was inside the house, and the Amber Alert for the two girls was issued.
Deputies say there is a history of domestic violence in the house, and Adams has a rap sheet.
Adams appeared before a judge Saturday, and his bond was set at $50,000. He is due back in court Tuesday.
Meanwhile, authorities say Adams' 32-year-old wife is recovering after being taken to Northeast Medical Center with broken ribs and a possibly ruptured ear drum.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Body pulled from rubble of burned down home
- Shots fired during SW Houston restaurant robbery
- Police impersonator sexually assaults woman
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale
- Prankster's good deed prank leads to tears of joy
- Save during spring break with freebies
- Comic book banned because it mentions Allah
- ESPN: Johnny Football signs multi-year deal
- Employers add 175K jobs despite harsh weather
- Push-up jeans promise bigger booty
- Blind man survives fall onto subway tracks
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos