Daughters of man fatally stabbed in northeast Houston make plea to find father's killer
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A family wants justice after a father was stabbed to death outside his apartment in northeast Houston. They believe someone knows who did it, but is afraid to come forward.
Karen Kiriago was preparing dinner in the 7100 block of Parker on New Year's Eve when her boyfriend, Van Rogers, came inside and collapsed. It was his birthday.
"He couldn't say nothing. He just collapsed on the floor," she said.
Rogers died from a stab wound on the way to the hospital. Houston police have made no arrests, but in a busy apartment complex like Las Palmas, his daughters are certain someone knows something. They have been asking questions themselves.
"The people in the complex will not talk," Rogers' daughter, Latasha Rogers, said.
And many people wouldn't even talk to us. Longtime resident Betty Lovick says it is part of a code of silence.
"A lot of times, police can get you caught up rather than help the situation," Lovick said.
Meaning talking can get you hurt. It's something daughter Vandria McClain and Latasha Rogers are shocked to have in the three days dealing with their father's death.
"Found out the next morning and he was already gone," McClain said.
And that's why they wanted to talk to us.
"What if it was your cousin, your niece, your uncle, your mom, your sister, your brother?" Latasha Rogers said.
Rogers' girlfriend is even afraid to say a lot. She knows he often tried to give the young men here advice, and a couple weeks ago his truck was vandalized.
"It is somebody in the apartments. Somebody knows something but ain't nobody talking," Kiriago said.
All of them hope a personal plea moves someone to make a call.
"Just say something, just say something," McClain said.
Anyone with information about the identity of the suspect is asked to contact Crime Stoppers of Houston at (713) 222-TIPS (8477).
Crime Stoppers will pay up to $5,000 for any information called in to the 713-222-TIPS (8477) or submitted online at www.crime-stoppers.org that leads to the filing of felony charges or arrest of the suspect in this case. Tips can also be sent by text message. Text TIP610 plus your tip to CRIMES (274637). All tipsters remain anonymous.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, jessica willey
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena 28 min ago
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant 50 min ago
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead 9 min ago
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Woman takes out frustration on Pennsylvania reporter 10 min ago
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight