Houston police investigating first murder of 2014
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Houston Police Department detectives say they are investigating the first murder of the year -- a shooting death on the northwest side.
The shooting happened in a parking lot next to a home in the 1600 block of Nyoka near Papalote, where police say at least 50 people were attending a house party that was interrupted by a hail of bullets.
"It sounded like a war," neighbor Murphy Wallace said.
Wallace woke up just after 1am to the sound of gunfire.
"I don't know how many shots were fired, but it was a bunch," he said.
According to police, it started with a disagreement. An argument reportedly broke out and someone inside a car in the parking lot started shooting, firing eight to 10 shots at other partygoers.
"We know there ended up being some disturbance in the parking lot. Somebody pulls and shoots. It was at least three people shot; possibly a fourth one," HPD Sgt. Robert Odom said.
One of the victims was taken to Ben Taub General Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Two other victims, including one teenager, are expected to survive.
Wallace says he worried about stray bullets.
"I still had to get down on the floor last night because it sounded like it was right here," he said.
Wallace and his wife weren't hurt, and their home wasn't hit, but he says they're still a little on edge.
"I don't know what's happening out here," he said. "It didn't used to be like this."
Investigators are still trying to piece together what led up to the shooting, and who the suspects might be. According to police, no one seems to have seen anything.
"I haven't found any real witnesses that know happened at the party before that," Odom said. "I know there was a large group of kids out here, so any of these kids that saw this need to contact me at Homicide. Contact Homicide and let us know what happened."
Officials said the suspects fled in a cream-colored Toyota or Honda sedan. Anyone with information in this case is urged to contact the HPD Homicide Division at 713-308-3600 or Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale