Woman killed by dogs in southeast Houston remembered as investigation continues
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A woman killed by several dogs in southeast Houston was being remembered Monday. As we learn more about her, we're also learning more about what's happened to the dogs that took her so suddenly.
A small makeshift memorial honors the life of Christine Bell, a woman who was attacked by several dogs Sunday morning and killed.
Her pastor remembers the last time they spoke.
"I actually went by that intersection Friday afternoon and saw her and spoke to her and said, 'Stay safe,'" Pastor Will Reed said.
Reed knew Bell well. She and her husband, known as B.B., were longtime members of the Servants of Christ United Methodist Church. Homeless for years, they were married in the church and just recently got an apartment.
"It's part of their family. They've been with each other all this time," volunteer Margo Montgomery said.
Dogs attacked Bell and two other people that morning. Houston animal control officials say two captured dogs are both female pit bull mixes and belonged to the same owner.
"We know that one is absolutely involved in the attack," animal control spokesperson Chris Newport said. "We know the other, according to witness review, was not involved in the attack."
The owner of the dogs wasn't home when we visited. He's turned over the two adult dogs to animal control, but several pit bull puppies remain in his apartment, which is just a block from where Bell lost her life.
That owner has since been issued citations, but no charges have been filed.
Meanwhile, Bell's friends are trying to cope with the horrible reality of her death.
"Our first reaction is often shock, and then the anger and the grief begins to set in," Reed said.
Animal control authorities tell us they are looking for another dog believed to be involved -- a black female pit mix with white markings.
Officials say there have been no reports of dog problems in this neighborhood prior to this attack.
A memorial service for Bell will be held Tuesday at 9:45am at Servants of Christ United Methodist Church, 3827 Broadway Street in Houston.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, miya shay
- Texans reportedly release TE Owen Daniels 11 min ago
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be? 33 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns' 16 min ago
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'