Ice on roadways across parts of Houston area
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A four-vehicle accident is being blamed on ice on the roadway in northwest Houston.
The accident happened after 5:30am on Gessner Drive at Hempstead Highway.
Authorities say at least four vehicles were involved in the crash. The northbound lanes of Hempstead Highway were blocked for several hours.
"The road, it was icy and I was coming down the road and there was a car kind of spinning and I went out of control," said crash victim Francisco Diaz.
"I couldn't stop because of the ice and I hit him. Once I hit him, not seeing behind me, somebody hit me," said crash victim Susie Fletcher.
No one in the four-car pileup was injured.
City work crews were on the Westpark Tollway earlier this morning after ice was discovered on the roadway. The ice was discovered on the east and the westbound lanes of the Westpark Tollway at the Southwest Freeway. It was shut down briefly as work crews spread sand. It was then opened back up.
There was ice on the feeder road along I-45/North Freeway near Crosstimbers. Authorities shut down the Crosstimbers exit and at least two frontage lanes for more than an hour. TXDOT crews came out to spread de-icing granular and authorities have since opened the exit and frontage lanes.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- One killed in west Houston wreck
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Texas town recovering, year after deadly blast
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Williams in talks to reprise 'Mrs. Doubtfire' role
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care
- Teen accused of threatening attack on Splendora HS
- Police: Man ate pot candy before shooting his wife
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant