Ice on roadways across parts of Houston area
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A four-vehicle accident is being blamed on ice on the roadway in northwest Houston.
The accident happened after 5:30am on Gessner Drive at Hempstead Highway.
Authorities say at least four vehicles were involved in the crash. The northbound lanes of Hempstead Highway were blocked for several hours.
"The road, it was icy and I was coming down the road and there was a car kind of spinning and I went out of control," said crash victim Francisco Diaz.
"I couldn't stop because of the ice and I hit him. Once I hit him, not seeing behind me, somebody hit me," said crash victim Susie Fletcher.
No one in the four-car pileup was injured.
City work crews were on the Westpark Tollway earlier this morning after ice was discovered on the roadway. The ice was discovered on the east and the westbound lanes of the Westpark Tollway at the Southwest Freeway. It was shut down briefly as work crews spread sand. It was then opened back up.
There was ice on the feeder road along I-45/North Freeway near Crosstimbers. Authorities shut down the Crosstimbers exit and at least two frontage lanes for more than an hour. TXDOT crews came out to spread de-icing granular and authorities have since opened the exit and frontage lanes.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale