Man charged after Amber Alert canceled for 13-year-old Brazoria County girl
MANVEL, TX (KTRK) -- A man is now facing charges after a teen's disappearance prompted an Amber Alert Tuesday night.
Brazoria County sheriff's deputies say Elizabeth Catherine Smith, 13, was reported missing on Tuesday, and an Amber Alert was issued. She was believed to have gone with a man she met online.
Deputies say Jose Ponce, 38, returned the girl safely to her aunt's house at about 2:30am.
After interviewing the girl, authorities charged Ponce with aggravated kidnapping and enticing a child with intent to commit a felony. Ponce was arrested at his place of employment on Houston's north side and taken to the Brazoria County Detention Center. He is being held on $350,000 bond.
The investigation is ongoing, and authorities suggest more charges may be likely.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case 19 min ago
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Texans release TE Owen Daniels
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be?
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options 7 min ago
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent 50 min ago
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez 20 min ago
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old 28 min ago
- Two injured when SUV drives into barber shop 38 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns'
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight 9 min ago
- Taking Rodeo fun to the extreme
34 min ago