Police investigating attempted smash-and-grab at jewelry store in southwest Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A family-owned jewelry store in southwest Houston was left in shambles after would-be thieves smashed through the front door and got away empty-handed.
Police say the suspects drove a vehicle into the New Gehna store on Hillcroft along Highway 59 just before 5am. It is the second robbery at this store in three months.
The owner believes they were trying to steal the ample supply of jewelry regularly for sale at the store, but instead got away empty-handed.
"The whole window was gone and as you can see, everything in here, everything is shattered and everything is gone," said the store owner's nephew, Moiz Ali.
"And your products, your jewelry?" we asked.
"That is safe. That is in a good spot," he replied.
The valuable merchandise is secured in a safe place that the suspects couldn't access. Today's incident was different from last year, when this store was hit another time. The owner showing us his cell phone photos of when his store was hit in the middle of the day. It was a frightening moment for the people who work here, and they're hoping the failure this time around to grab anything valuable, will at least keep this set of criminals from trying again.
"One way or another, they do get caught, that is the wish," said Ali.
The suspects remain at large. The store does have surveillance video, which is being turned over to police.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Frustration mounts for church members
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands
- Students, parents react after HISD vote
- Photos: Maroon 5 draws massive Rodeo crowd
- Richmond traffic stop leads to drug bust
- Pearland mom honored on 'Live with Kelly and Michael'