Teen found dead in Houston field in '82 identified as missing Conn. girl
HARTFORD, CT -- Authorities say a teenager found slain in Texas more than 30 years ago has been identified as a Connecticut girl who disappeared in 1982.
Connecticut State Police say the remains of Michelle Garvey were found on a field in Houston on July 1, 1982, but nobody knew who she was.
Police say her identity was discovered after the Harris County Sheriff's Office in Texas had the body exhumed to obtain DNA samples.
The New London, Conn., girl was 14 when she was last seen on June 1, 1982. Authorities believe she had run away from home.
State police say Garvey's family has been notified and efforts are being made to have the remains returned to Connecticut for burial. The police investigation is continuing.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Two dead in apparent murder-suicide in Pasadena 45 min ago
- Employees shot outside Galleria area restaurant
- Is Pearland mom the most 'unstoppable?'
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool
- 'I'm dying' - Crocodile Hunter's final words
- Girl gets finger stuck in recalled Easy Bake Oven
- Wrestler hugs opponent's dad after loss
- Malaysia not sure which way lost jet was headed
- Prom dress shop rallies community to help teen
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Flight diverted to Houston after baby stops breathing
- Federal government could get involved in school fight
- Dying child receives experimental drug
- One taken to hospital after SUV drives into salon