Raid shuts down game room in north Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A suspected illegal game room in north Houston was closed Saturday morning after an overnight raid, and several people connected to the facility are now facing charges.
Harris County Precinct 1 Constable's Office deputies entered the game room on Airline near Tidwell while undercover Friday and reportedly received their winnings in cash, which is illegal.
Around 8pm, deputies returned with a search warrant and seized an unknown amount of cash and about 170 gaming machines. Officials said nearly 30 people were inside the business at the time, and deputies detained at least four employees.
This is the second game room raid carried out by Pct. 1 deputies in the past month.
Pct. 1 Constable Alan Rosen said his deputies have been targeting game rooms since the businesses can lead to other crimes.
"We're conducting these raids because we find that a lot of these illegal gaming establishments breed other criminal elements," Rosen said. "People are walking in and out of these establishments with money. So people that are committing robberies, committing thefts, they are all coming to these facilities because they know people going in and coming out may have a large amount of money on them."
The constable added that people with gambling addictions may turn to crime to feed their habit.
"When I took office, I was charged with really trying to clean up Precinct 1, and that's exactly what I'm doing," Rosen said.
The four employees who were detained could face illegal gambling charges.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home