Student installs Maltese cross at fire station in Missouri City to earn Eagle Scout ranking
MISSOURI CITY, TX (KTRK) -- It's a symbol of heroism and service, and now a Maltese cross is displayed proudly at Fire Station 4 in Missouri City -- the perfect place for it.
"The Maltese cross is a symbol known around the world for a fire department, and by placing the Maltese cross here at the fire station, people from different areas or around the world know that this is someplace they can come get help," Eagle Scout David Sander said.
The young man recognizes his home of Missouri City as a place where many languages are spoken, which can lead to some miscommunication. But he believes there's no mistaking the Maltese cross symbol.
As part of achieving the highest ranking in Boy Scouts, he built the Maltese cross because it's known worldwide, so if any of his neighbors need help -- no matter where they come from -- they'll know they can get it at Fire Station 4.
David Sander's father, Russell, is the fire chief.
"So proud of him that he took the project from beginning to end and actually finished, and it took him a little over two weeks from start to finish," Russell Sander said.
"You're teaching leadership and community service, and that's what's important," mother Tammie Sander said.
His parents say, and he agrees, that this project is not just about what you can do for the community, but also about the person you become in the process.
"No matter what he chooses to do, we know that being an Eagle Scout will help him, no matter what career he follows in life," Russell Sander said.
"It's not just awards and merit badges. You have to show that you're mature enough and that you can show leadership throughout the whole entire experience, and then beyond," David Sander said.
Sander had to oversee raising money for the project, clear it with the officials of Missouri City, and then it took two days with the help of his family and fellow Boy Scouts to construct. All of that work makes him worthy of the Eagle Scout rank.
The Maltese cross can be seen at Fire Station 4, 5955 Sienna Parkway in Missouri City.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, elissa rivas
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands 44 min ago
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Lights go out at Jones Hall, but concert-goers have a blast
- Tooth Fairy 45% more generous in 2013
- Man hit, killed while trying to cross East Freeway
- Free Stuff Friday!
- Will Pearland mom be named most 'unstoppable' today?
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Photos: Jet's landing gear collapses in Philadelphia
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale