'Killing fields' families hoping for justice for victims with upcoming murder trial
GALVESTON, TX (KTRK) -- New evidence could help solve three cold case murders connected to the notorious "killing fields." The father of one of those victims spoke with abc13 about what this could mean for the families still seeking justice for their loved ones.
There are two grieving families who've waited a very long time for some answers. They're going to be sitting in a courtroom in Galveston County in March at the murder trial of a man who could be responsible for another murder. They're there looking for justice for their own children.
Texas EquuSearch founder Tim Miller has devoted his life to finding the missing, bringing grieving families answers they might never have received.
He said, "I'm not one who's known for quitting anything."
That includes the unsolved murder of his 16-year-old daughter Laura, who was killed 30 years ago.
Miller recalled, "I would go out there where Laura's cross was, and I would stand over the cross and say, 'Laura, please don't hate your daddy, but I can't come out here anymore. I have to say goodbye and I have to put my life back together.' And literally, I would hear her voice saying, 'Dad, don't quit, don't quit.'"
Miller's determination could soon pay off at the upcoming trial of Clyde Hedrick, 60. Hedrick was just charged eight months ago with the 1984 murder of Elena Rae Beasom. Prosecutors say they could present evidence tying Hedrick to Laura Miller's murder in 1984, and the 1983 murder of Heide Faye. Both girls were found in the so-called 'killing fields' off I-45.
"I wasn't surprised about the information," Miller said.
Hedrick used to live two doors down from the Millers.
Miller said, "If this should lead to an arrest on Laura's case and on Heide's case, then, you know, I think we all deserve that. I think Laura deserves that, I think Heide deserves that."
That trial is scheduled for March 24, with a preliminary hearing scheduled for March 7.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
galveston, killing fields, local, katie mccall
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown
- Good Samaritans rescue mom, kids after wreck
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena
- Dogs dies in northeast Houston house fire
- Landslide devouring Wyoming town
- TSU band heading to Canton with Michael Strahan
- More bodies recovered from sunken ferry
- Looks like perfect Easter Egg hunting weather
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- Special Olympian gets assist from Rice students
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive