Mother of man fatally shot by off-duty Houston police officer speaks out
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- 26-year-old Jordan Baker took his last breath in a trash-strewn alley behind a Northwest Houston strip center, after he was shot and killed by an off-duty Houston police officer.
His mother, Janet Baker, has heard what the Police Department said about the shooting, that the officer thought Jordan matched the description of some robbery suspects, who had recently held up three different stores in the strip center. Baker, like the suspects, was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt that night.
"He's not the way they portrayed him," said Janet Baker. "He's a father. He's grandson. He's a son. And he was just taken away."
According to police reports, an off-duty officer working security at the strip center, which is at the intersection of Antoine Drive and West Little York Road, Thursday night when he saw Jordan Baker riding his bike through the parking lot and peeking into businesses. When the officer asked Baker for an I.D., he said there was a scuffle, and a footchase, with the officer finally cornering Baker in the alley. The officer told investigators Baker charged toward him, and that's when he fired his gun.
"I don't believe that's what occurred," said Janet Baker. "I think that's him trying justify the outcome of what happened."
Baker said her son was a student at Houston Community College. He had a young son, also named Jordan, who is just seven years old. She said Jordan hadn't been in trouble since he was in high school ten years ago, and even that wasn't serious enough to stay on his record.
"He did everything right," said Baker. "He's a college student, he was working part time. He does everything for his son. His son is his life."
Baker's own son's body is still in police custody, she said. The family hasn't started making funeral plans yet, but are already considering hiring an attorney to look into the death of a young man they believe could have been easily prevented.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- 20 on missing plane worked for Austin company
- Body found after shots ring out near Greens Bayou
- Students learn science through unique course
- Collision sends HPD officer, driver to hospital
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Person fatally falls from 6th floor of building at Texas A&M
- Thousands of bees attack woman in California
- North Houston house fire leaves one dead
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game
- Masked robbers hold up bank in west Harris County
- raw video: Sarah Palin remixes 'Green Eggs and Ham'
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home