Police: Shoplifting suspect leaves baby at Walmart in southwest Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Detectives are investigating a bizarre case involving a shoplifting suspect and an infant he left behind at a southwest Houston Walmart.
Police say they arrested an 18-year-old man who was found hiding behind the air conditioning unit of a home off Cliffwood and Osby.
Police say the suspect stole a video game from a nearby Walmart while holding a three-month-old baby. The suspect pushed an officer inside the Walmart when he was apprehended. The suspect then started running while still holding the newborn.
"While he was chasing him, the guy who was running with the stroller almost turned the stroller over and fell on the baby so he basically picked up the newborn baby, cradled him in his hand like a football and started running," HPD officer Moses Rios said.
Police say the suspect soon handed over the baby to a random passerby and kept running, zigzagging through neighborhoods and drainage canals.
A K-9 unit was deployed and a trained dog eventually found the suspect hiding in an unsuspecting couple's home.
"He had run through our yard to the other side by the air conditioner and was hiding behind the air conditioning unit when the dog found him," homeowner John Horan said.
Police say the suspect is facing a robbery charge and possibly also child endangerment.
The baby is safe. He is with his mother.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, pooja lodhia
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub
- Amazing images from midair accident in Florida
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident