Suspects identifed in identity theft case
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two women are now facing charges for racking up purchases in another woman's name, and now they could see even more of them.
Police say the women walked into the Sears at Memorial City Mall. First, they allegedly used a stolen ID and Social Security number to apply for a credit card. Then, police say the suspects tried to walk out with stolen jewelry.
Dena Spencer and Nicole white are both in jail now.
"I hope that they don't do this again and i hope they leave me alone," said Dr. Lauren Campbell, whose identification was stolen.
Dr. Campbell turned to Eyewitness News Monday, concerned that somebody had been using her personal information to buy more than $30,000 worth of items.
They bought a men's and women's wedding ring set. They bought electronics from Best Buy and toys from Toys R Us. They tried to buy fine jewelry at Nordstrom.
Dr. Campbell even showed us a Costco card she got in the mail. It's linked to her bank account and sent to her address, but she never applied for it.
You might notice the photo looks like a like Spencer.
"I was like, 'Hmmm, this person is interesting,'" said Dr. Campbell. "They are clearly not afraid of getting caught or just didn't realize it would be sent to my house."
It turns out a Houston police investigator was watching our story on our ABC13 app. He had arrested the two suspects on Saturday, but hadn't interviewed them yet.
Now, police are broadening their investigation and more charges are expected.
"They're going around with an identification, pretending to be you," said Dr. Campbell. "It's frightening and it's a violation and it's a way worse feeling than I thought it would be."
Both women do have long criminal histories. They're due in court Wednesday. Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, pooja lodhia
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side 7 min ago
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- More than two dozen hurt in musical stage collapse 45 min ago
- Toronto mayor mocked for daylight savings flub 48 min ago
- Woman badly burned in Conroe apartment fire
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Photos: South by Southwest in Austin
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman in freak accident
- LA unanimously bans vaping in public places
- DUI suspect crashes into 'We Be Sober' drivers
- Man dancing on power pole in lifted to...
- Boy buried by avalanche tried to bite his way out