Suspects identifed in identity theft case
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two women are now facing charges for racking up purchases in another woman's name, and now they could see even more of them.
Police say the women walked into the Sears at Memorial City Mall. First, they allegedly used a stolen ID and Social Security number to apply for a credit card. Then, police say the suspects tried to walk out with stolen jewelry.
Dena Spencer and Nicole white are both in jail now.
"I hope that they don't do this again and i hope they leave me alone," said Dr. Lauren Campbell, whose identification was stolen.
Dr. Campbell turned to Eyewitness News Monday, concerned that somebody had been using her personal information to buy more than $30,000 worth of items.
They bought a men's and women's wedding ring set. They bought electronics from Best Buy and toys from Toys R Us. They tried to buy fine jewelry at Nordstrom.
Dr. Campbell even showed us a Costco card she got in the mail. It's linked to her bank account and sent to her address, but she never applied for it.
You might notice the photo looks like a like Spencer.
"I was like, 'Hmmm, this person is interesting,'" said Dr. Campbell. "They are clearly not afraid of getting caught or just didn't realize it would be sent to my house."
It turns out a Houston police investigator was watching our story on our ABC13 app. He had arrested the two suspects on Saturday, but hadn't interviewed them yet.
Now, police are broadening their investigation and more charges are expected.
"They're going around with an identification, pretending to be you," said Dr. Campbell. "It's frightening and it's a violation and it's a way worse feeling than I thought it would be."
Both women do have long criminal histories. They're due in court Wednesday. Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, pooja lodhia
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church 35 min ago
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
- 5 plead guilty after immigrant stash house discovery
- Fire in wood shop fills middle school with smoke
- Case of missing teens solved after 43 years
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- Fashion trucks take over downtown Houston
- Missing kid found stuck in coin-operated game
- Over the top promposal had cops in on the secret
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos