Two-alarm fire causes major damage at southeast Houston apartments
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Firefighters spent Wednesday battling a two-alarm fire at an apartment complex in southeast Houston.
The fire was burning at the Bradford Apartments on Galveston Road at El Dorado.
People in 20 apartments were displaced. Three units were destroyed by fire and smoke, and authorities are looking into whether a resident was cooking meth.
Joey Perkins could do nothing but watch as his apartment was destroyed by fire. Houston firefighters worked to put out hot spots. He was there when it was raging.
"I'm sitting there cooking dinner and next thing you know they're saying, 'There's a fire! There's a fire!' So I step out and look on the other side, thinking there's maybe a barbecue pit on fire. No, the whole apartment is on fire," he said.
SkyEye HD showed us smoke from miles away, and those returning home feared the worst.
"I was just happy it wasn't my wife. I was worried about her, she was home," resident Nick Renteria said.
Eyewitnesses tell us the man in the third floor unit jumped from the balcony to escape. He broke his leg and had burns to his face. Arson investigators are looking into whether he is to blame, whether he was cooking methamphetamine when the fire started.
"Yes it is a possibility, yes," Houston Fire Department Deputy Chief John Douglas said.
And just in case, HAZMAT crews were called to the scene to mitigate any chemicals.
Perkins lived here with his girlfriend and their 2-year-old son. All got out OK, but starting from scratch is overwhelming.
"My apartment is ruined. All my stuff is ruined. All my stuff is wet. I have no place to put my head down tonight," he said.
A drug-sniffing dog has been brought in as part of the investigation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, jessica willey
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Information on price tags decoded 49 min ago
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase in north Houston 29 min ago
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer 59 min ago
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY 1 min ago
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038
- Why Malaysia Airlines jet might have disappeared
- Rockets rally for OT win over Blazers
- Man arrested for stealing money from donation box