Suspect in violent Cypress home invasions, sexual assaults arrested
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man suspected of committing at least two violent sexual assaults in the Cypress area was behind bars Saturday.
Neighbors in Cypress Landing are relieved, to say the least. Since the last attack on January 21, they've been living in fear -- some of them arming themselves with guns. Many are now standing down.
Harris County Sheriff's Office deputies arrested a 33-year-old man in connection with two home invasions and sexual assaults earlier this month.
Rickey Lee Zepeda is charged with aggravated sexual assault and aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon for the alleged attack of a 23-year-old woman in the 18000 block of Temple Hill on January 7. He is also the suspect in the January 21 home invasion and sexual assault. Those charges are pending.
Investigators said both attacks happened in broad daylight. On January 7, he was reportedly armed when he busted down the door to the woman's home and tied her up before sexual assaulting her and stealing items from her home.
Investigators put out a composite sketch. He then struck again, officials said -- this time sexually assaulting a woman in Cypress Landing.
A joint task force of investigators from the HCSO Adult Sex Crimes and HCSO Safe Homes are credited with his capture, with assistance from the Department of Public Safety Texas Ranger Division.
His roommate told us he only lived there for a month and worked at a scrap metal business nearby.
Residents are relieved by the arrest, and they said their neighborhood Facebook page helped to spread the word about the crimes and bond their community.
"I feel much better, but still it just makes you want to think that you really need to just secure your house even better," neighbor Michael Scoggin said. "Even though that guy is caught, there's other people out there."
Zepeda's bond was set at $300,000. He is due in court Monday at 9am.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Pickup rolls 6 times in northeast Harris County 10 min ago
- Man recovering after freak lawn-mowing accident 1 min ago
- Strong earthquake shakes central, southern Mexico
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- South Korean ferry boat captain arrested
- Texas officials say gang membership exceeds 100K
- Three accused of stealing items left on airplanes 27 min ago
- Promoters seek to bring back Galveston beach parties
- Key evidence recovered in double murder of Houston women
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Man shot while mowing lawn in N. Houston
- Man allegedly seen on video during burglary charged
- Police: Man suffocated son so he could play video games
- Bakery owner turned hobby into successful...
51 min ago