New dog park under construction near downtown Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The Buffalo Bayou Partnership is spearheading the transformation of a two-acre piece of land off of the bayou into an official dog park.
Ashlee Lohan loves the green space this spot near Montrose and Allen Parkway provides, just outside of downtown Houston. And by later this year, it will be a much friendlier haven for her and her French bulldog, Jack.
"We live in an apartment. It's hard to, you know, have a place to let your dog run around, so it's nice to have this area for the apartments that are around here, for a place to have them take their dogs and enjoy being outside," she said.
It will take months, but upon completion, the park will have a new fence and ponds, dog washing areas, sheltered areas providing shade and additional parking.
The partnership is letting dog owners know that, even though the area will be closed for a while, it's for a good reason.
"The last couple of years, we've been coming to this area, and we've seen it develop over time and it's great," dog owner Dave Spoehr said.
The total project cost for the dog park is $1.5 million. Once complete, the dog park will be one of three available to dog owners in the immediate downtown/neartown area, and it will be part of a larger redevelopment of Buffalo Bayou.
"I know that they're doing a lot, and we're trying to help to make it kind of something that stands out and makes the city better," dog owner Michael Lohan said.
Due to construction, this area will close beginning Monday. The dog park in Buffalo Bayou Park should be complete in October.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, elissa rivas
- Would-be robbery victim kills suspect at bar
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Blood drive held for officer injured in crash
- New info in case of women found dead by dumpster
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies
- Corvette driver killed by suspected drunk driver
- Fast food restaurant held up by armed suspects
- Oops! Noise complaint leads to drug bust
- Mom confesses to killing 3 young daughters
- One killed in house fire on Houston's south side
- Jet makes emergency landing in Honolulu
- Pre-St. Pat's bash erupts into chaos
- Fire marshal: Teen burned mom's clothes over marijuana
- Yates comes up short in 3A title game