Suspect in bizarre Houston abduction appears in court
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- The man accused of kidnapping a little girl, then leaving her at a Target store went before a judge this morning.
Joaquin Ramos made his first appearance Monday since being arrested for abducting the seven-year-old girl.
Ramos is charged with kidnapping. On January 29, prosecutors say Ramos grabbed the girl from a parking lot at her apartment complex on Wirt Road. Just feet away, the girl's mother was unloading groceries when she said she saw the 23-year-old Ramos put her child into the back seat of his Jeep. She ran after him, but was unable to catch him.
Later, Ramos and the girl were spotted on surveillance video at the Target store where the girl went into a restroom and told an adult she had been kidnapped. The child was unharmed.
Ramos escaped but he was not free for long. He was arrested the very next day at nearby Memorial Hermann Hospital on the Katy Freeway, where his wife had just given birth to the couple's fourth child.
Prosecutors say Ramos confessed to taking the girl.
Ramos has a previous misdemeanor charge for shoplifting. It's still unclear what the alleged motive for the kidnapping was. Bond is set at $200,000. His next hearing is in two weeks.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, katie mccall
- Woman kidnapped, sexually assaulted in SE Houston 55 min ago
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 1 min ago
- Vigil held for teen shot in girl's bedroom
- Suspect killed in home invasion in N. Harris Co.
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Brawl breaks out at funeral home on Houston's south side 23 min ago
- Raiders sign Texans' Antonio Smith
- Motorcyclist dies in crash with wrecker 12 min ago
- Woman accused of punching 4-year-old, killing her
- Police investigating north Houston nightclub stabbing 1 min ago
- Search continues for clues in women's murders
- Driver charged in deadly SXSW wreck
- Funny video from Jessica Willey's Colorado...
- Search for missing Malaysian jet expands