Local couple loses 500 pounds together
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A dramatic weight loss story involving not one person, but two. A married couple from Beaumont, Texas dropped 500 pounds together.
Their transformation is amazing and so is the way they did it, the old fashioned way of diet and exercise.
For years, Angela and Willie Gillis struggled with their weight. He weighed 492 pounds and she weighed 338 pounds.
Willie says, "I just can't believe we were that big, and we let ourselves go and didn't care what we were doing. We ate fast food all day, every day."
They went from eating four pizzas at a time for one meal to making much healthier choices in the kitchen like vegetables and salads. At the same time, they introduced something new into their daily routines -- exercise.
Angela says she tried it all, from weightlifting classes to cycling. In two years, she had lost 200 pounds. Willie dropped 300 pounds.
Angela says she went from a size 20 to a size 2! And Willie went from a 68 inch waist to a 36 inch waist. Both say they relied on each other for support.
Angela said, "I never wanted to come home and say this is what I did wrong or that I gained weight because of something stupid."
As their bodies changed, so did their habits and hobbies. Angela got into running and then got Willie into running. Now they're both running marathons.
They say they're not looking back and they're hoping their transformation will serve as inspiration for other couples looking to drop weight.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, ilona carson
- Kids hospitalized after chemical leak at pool 1 min ago
- Doc reaches deal in bizarre break-in case
- Do you know this fake cop rapist?
- Community leaders plead for answers in women's deaths
- Grant to help research hurricane-protection options
- Deputies: Boy tied up, beaten for smearing poop in sink
- Protesters call for HISD to fire superintendent
- New movie centers on life of Cesar Chavez
- Conroe police investigating death of 11-month-old
- Two injured when SUV drives into barber shop
- Out-of-state visitor wins Texas-sized lottery ticket
- These neighbors are gearing up for a fight
- Missing Malaysian Airlines flight changed course
- Neighbor helps nab fence-jumping burglary suspects