Woman charged in hit-and-run wreck that killed Houston cyclist
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An accused drunk driver is now under arrest, charged in the deadly hit-and-run that claimed the life of a young Houston woman.
The suspect, 35-year-old Margaret Mayer, was arrested Wednesday morning. She is expected to face a judge Thursday on a charge of failure to stop and render aid.
"First time her name came up was a few days after the crash through an anonymous tip."
It was through that tip, and others that followed, that led police to Mayer. Authorities tell us she was behind the wheel the night of December 1, when 24-year-old Chelsea Norman was struck while riding her bike home from work.
"She had been out at a bar with friends and left the bar," Harris County prosecutor Janna Oswald said. "She was driving back home on Waugh and a crash occurred."
But Mayer didn't stop. Court records show she later confessed to a friend she had been drinking and got lost on her way home and thought she had hit something. That something was Norman, who died days later from her injuries.
"If she had stuck around and called 911 herself, knowing she was the one who crashed, that may have saved Chelsea's life," Oswald said.
Police work led authorities to an auto shop where, one day after the crash, Mayer showed up with her boyfriend.
"The damage wasn't very much damage on the body; it was the windshield, the passenger side was totally smashed," shop owner Nima Mir said.
Mir says the suspect first asked for an estimate on a brake job but then later came back to get the windshield of her small Chevy truck repaired. It's same truck that now sits outside the suspect's home. The most visible sign of the accident fixed, but still small reminders of what happened that night.
Police say Mayer was arrested on suspicion of DWI once in 2008.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Sketch released of suspect in elderly woman assault
- Smash-and-grab suspects lead police on chase
- Photos: 7 big brands that are stuggling
- Outlet mall shoppers get Sunday scare
- Video: Why ABC-13 anchors don't wear green on St....
- 'Dancing With the Stars' season 18 kicks off tonight
- Indianapolis Colts owner arrested for DWI 21 min ago
- Residents jump from windows to escape apartment fire
- Don't click on those Malaysia Airlines Facebook posts 11 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded
- Keep grays at bay with root touch-up products
- Teen fatally shot remembered in service in Spring
- Canada-Mexico flight makes emergency Montana stop
- Costco fruit snacks recalled 43 min ago