Police: Woman held husband hostage in La Marque for hours
LA MARQUE, TX (KTRK) -- A woman in her 70s is now in custody after police say she held her husband hostage in their La Marque home for nearly six hours.
It happened at a home on Hawthorne Street at FM 519. La Marque police say it started at around 9:50am as an argument over finances.
Authorities say a man called police to tell them that his sister was holding her husband hostage.
Police said there were guns in the home. They say they tried to talk to the woman over the phone, but she hung up on them.
The Texas City SWAT team was called. They tried to negotiate with the woman and were also unsuccessful.
Just after 4pm, the husband -- Harrom Nipp, 77 -- walked out slowly with his hands up. He appeared to be OK. Then several minutes later, his wife -- 73-year-old Loretta Nipp -- walked out the front door, holding her purse and a jacket. She was handcuffed and taken into custody.
Officials tell us the incident was over a financial disagreement.
Residents in nearby homes were evacuated just as a precaution.
One neighbor says he's upset because the woman wasted taxpayer dollars over her financial troubles.
"As a taxpayer, I'm seeing the SWAT team here, a whole block full of police," said neighbor Steven Schlotter. "It seems like it was a big waste of money. They could have just knocked on the front door and went in the back. A couple in their 70s, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to sneak up on."
Police say Loretta Nipp was taken to an area hospital for a mental health evaluation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
la marque, local
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- IRS uses woman's tax refund to pay old debt
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Philly
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis
- Church offering drive-through prayers
- Death toll rises to 7 in New York City blast
- Missouri City man charged in wife's death
- Groups protest chemicals used in Apple's iPhone
- Recognize either of these guys?
- Texans re-sign tight end Garrett Graham
- Rice hoops coach Ben Braun resigns