Alcohol suspected in double fatal wreck in northwest Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Two men are dead and a woman is in critical condition after a crash early Friday morning in northwest Harris County. Investigators believe both drivers involved may have been intoxicated.
CenterPoint workers had to make repairs on a utility pole after the crash knocked out power to a handful of businesses in the area, and tied up traffic for several hours.
Two twisted cars were left as evidence of the crash that killed two people, sent a woman to the hospital and created a traffic nightmare at FM 1960 and Wortham.
Sophia Rodriguez, who works nearby, said, "I saw the black car, the Camaro, was completely wrapped around the pole right outside."
Rodriguez works at a bakery just down the street from where the accident happened. She had to navigate around it, with 1960 closed in both directions.
"We ended up having to drive through Eldridge, go back through the neighborhood through Eldridge to get here," she said.
According to sheriff's deputies, the crash happened shortly after 2am, when Francis Layton, driving a Volkswagen, was going east on FM 1960 and turned into a parking lot in front of a Camaro going the opposite direction.
Sgt. S. Wolverton with the Harris County Sheriff's Office said, "The Camaro struck that Volkswagen, caused a violent rotation. The driver of the VW was ejected from the vehicle. He was pronounced deceased here on the scene."
The Camaro continued on and slammed into a utility pole. Brian Montoya, in the passenger seat, also died at the scene, and the driver, Danyra Montoya, 23, was taken by helicopter to Hermann Hospital in critical condition.
Deputies suspect both drivers may have been drinking earlier in the night, and say speed likely also played a part in the crash.
"It was really sad to see that and, you know, I pray for their families," Rodriguez said.
Officials say Danrya showed signs of impairment and was arrested. Investigators are waiting for results of a toxicology screen to see if alcohol was indeed a factor. Charges are pending in the investigation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, simon gutierrez
- HPD officer responding to call involved in wreck 26 min ago
- HISD decides fate of two schools at risk of closure
- Driver fleeing police kills 2 at SXSW festival
- Arrest made in connection to murder of two women
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Notable events that happened on this date in history 13 min ago
- College students paid to take a year off?
- HoustonRodeo 'Moves like Jagger'
- Motorcycle chase ends in fiery crash with patrol vehicle 34 min ago
- Americans spend $56 billion on pets 23 min ago
- Free Stuff Friday! 44 min ago
- Avoid baggage fees with these packing tips 50 min ago
- HCSO: Man shoots teen inside daughter's bedroom
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis