Houston near top of list of airline laser pointer incidents
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- It happens more often than you probably think -- someone pointing a laser at a plane. In fact, it's a big problem in the Houston area and now the FBI is offering a pretty hefty reward to anyone who reports a laser incident.
It's become a growing threat in the skies.
"Airline pilots have known that this has been a problem for some years now," said Captain Sean Cassidy.
The threat is an inexpensive laser pointer. In the wrong hands, the FAA says lasers have become a serious threat to aircrafts during take-off and landing.
"All of a sudden, we see this green flash," said commercial pilot, Mark Crystal.
Crystal said his aircraft was recently hit with a laser while approaching the Louisville Airport.
"I think that it's bunch of people that don't know what they're doing, thinking that it's a game," Crystal said.
In 2013, Houston ranked number two in aircraft laser attacks. Some 126 incidents were reported. Portland topped the list. Nationwide, there were nearly 40,000 reported cases. Texas accounted for about 400 of those.
"These aren't really toys. They're useful tools," said business owner Darrin Lewer.
Lewer sells low watt laser pointers. Most of his clients use them to point out constellations. He showed us how the laser can not only temporarily blind a pilot, but also turn the aircraft's windshield green.
"This is the type of thing that kids do. It's stupid but it can have deadly consequences," said Harris County DA Devon Anderson.
Local and federal prosecutors are now promising to prosecute those who threaten airliners. Billboards are also going up to stop the laser threats.
Crime Stoppers is offering a $10,000 reward to anyone who gives information that leads to an arrest in this type of crime. If convicted, this crime carries a max punishment of up to five years in jail and a $250,000 fine.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas 18 min ago
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released 19 min ago
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Burglary suspect watches sleeping toddler
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced 53 min ago
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations 16 min ago
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake 57 min ago
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store' 51 min ago
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison 35 min ago
- Man held up on his way home from bank 23 min ago
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
- Make-A-Wish lets boy fly like Iron Man 29 min ago
- 'No hooking' billboard curbs prostitution in neighborhood 20 min ago
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos