Parents accuse HISD elementary school principal of being bully
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Some parents with children at a northwest Houston elementary school say the principal lacks leadership and is a bully, and they want the HISD school board to take action. But the principal tells Eyewitness News that's not true.
The parents are very passionate and they voiced their opinions to HISD trustees. But the principal says she's been there seven years and isn't going anywhere.
Gabriella Guiterrez has devoted the past four months of her life to one thing: gathering the evidence that she believes shows her children's principal at Patterson Elementary is unfit for the job.
"I'd say she's a major bully and I say shame on you to the district for allowing this to happen. Because if she's the leader of that school, andthe teachers are being bullied, the kids aren't being taught effectively," Guiterrez said.
Guiterrez gathered several concerned parents, former teachers, and even the civil rights group LULAC at Thursday's HISD board meeting, demanding principal Jeanie Canstano be removed.
"Why is HISD allowing a principal to bully the teachers?" said Mary Ramos with LULAC said.
It's a label the principal says she's has heard before.
"And it saddens me to hear that," Canstano said.
"Are you a bully?" we asked.
"I don't feel I am a bully. I really come to work everyday to make sure the kids are learning, the kids are safe," she said.
Canstano has been a principal at Patterson for seven years. She rejects the bully label, but admits she can rub people the wrong way.
"I am not warm and fuzzy, and I am very focused on making sure the children are learning," she said.
HISD did conduct an internal investigation and is standing by principal Canstano. Parents and some former teachers vow to continue the fight, saying they won't be happy until she is removed.
"It is very unfortunate what people have to go through a daily basis, not only teachers but staff and parents," former teacher Diana Andree said.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, miya shay
- Man nabbed after video shows burglar staring at baby 46 min ago
- Security guard fatally shot in SW Houston 30 min ago
- HPD aims to keep officers safe behind wheels
- One killed in west Houston wreck
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Two people inside parked car shot, one fatally 30 min ago
- Chipotle plans first price hike in 3 years 7 min ago
- Michaels confirms breach of as many as 2.6M cards
- Kansas City highway shooting suspect in custody 14 min ago
- 12 killed, 3 missing in avalanche on Everest 18 min ago
- Prostitution sting nets 5 arrests in NW Harris County
- Chris Brown trial could start as soon as today
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash