Parents accused of abuse that left baby boy permanently brain damaged
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A father and mother are accused in a disturbing case of alleged child abuse. The victim? A 10-month-old baby who will never be the same and will need constant care.
Children's Protective Services says this family has three children, and all three have now been removed from the parents' custody. But they say it's not going to be easy to find someone to care for them because CPS says the 10-month-old boy will need intensive care for the rest of his life.
Doron Zack Dwight and Rowana Johnson are in jail, accused of severely beating their son back in December. The baby has been at Texas Children's Hospital ever since. Investigators say he has lost 80 percent of his vision, has trouble hearing and will have permanent brain damage.
CPS spokesperson Estella Olguin explained, "He had severe head trauma and skull fractures, as well, and the parents' explanation wasn't consistent with what the doctors were saying happened."
Nobody answered at their northeast Houston home. Investigators say Dwight, the father, admitted to getting frustrated with the baby crying and teething, and said he hit him multiple times on the back of his head on December 19.
The next day, Dwight allegedly attacked again, violently rocking the baby in his car seat and hitting him on the head. That's when police say the baby's mother, Rowana Johnson, saw red marks on the baby and, instead of immediately taking him to the hospital, she allegedly told the father, "Let's just pray."
As the baby's health worsened, the couple finally called 911, and that's when police and CPS became involved. Neighbors were suspicious.
"They asked for my brother to give him a ride and my brother wasn't able to do so," a neighbor said. "He said he had fallen with the baby and the baby had hit his head."
CPS has also taken custody of the couple's two other children.
"We will be in court next week," Olguin said. "He's got two siblings, two sisters. They are two and three years old and both of them are with relatives."
Bond has been set at $20,00 for each suspect.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, pooja lodhia
- HPD: 2 nursing home residents beaten to death
- Three charged over duct-taped kids at Buc-ees
- Jailer accused of sneaking smokes, snacks
- Former Houston cop facing drug charges
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- La Marque student found with loaded weapon on campus 30 min ago
- Madison students on alert after reported abduction
- 5 former Buffalo Bills cheerleaders sue over pay
- Liberty Institute: Girl told not to read Bible in class
- Suspects jump out window in escape attempt 51 min ago
- Tracy McGrady will be on Skeeters' opening day roster 1 min ago
- Oh my! NYPD's request for cop photos goes awry
- 'Felony Lane Gang' targeting women's purses
- Big reward for sex assault suspect who missed court date