Protest today over proposal to close 5 HISD schools ends at superintendent Terry Grier's home
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Another protest took place Sunday in response to HISD's plan to possibly close five schools.
From their neighborhood to the home of the HISD superintendent, parents marched.
"Save our schools. Terry Grier has got to go," the crowds chanted.
The group spread their message across Houston Sunday afternoon.
"We're out here to tell Terry Grier we're not going to take this anymore," said parent Kathy Blueford-Daniels. "You're not going to close any more of our schools. Just on the northeast side in district 2, he's closing seven schools in 5 years."
The group opposes the district's current proposal to close five campuses at the end of the school year. The district says the proposal was put into place to address changing demographics and fluctuating enrollment.
Jones High School, Fleming Middle School and Dodson, Henderson and Port Houston elementary schools would shut the doors if the proposal passes. Those in the march Sunday say the schools make up the fabric of the community and in some cases, if the school closes, the kids won't go back.
"We all know how important a school in the community is so when you have school closures at a sudden rate, what is happening is, you are setting them up to go to prison," said parent Stephen Manley.
Community meetings are scheduled this week. HISD school board trustees will vote on whether or not to close the schools on March 13.
Find Christine on Facebook at ABC13ChristineDobbyn or on Twitter at @christinedobbyn Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
houston isd, local, christine dobbyn
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Obama: 8 million signed up for health care 9 min ago
- Chelsea Clinton announces she's pregnant 14 min ago
- Student caught with gun on campus 43 min ago
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor
- TDCJ van carrying prisoners crashes near El Campo
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's featured...
- Dangerous sex offenders' moving into Houston area? 47 min ago
- There's pee in the water -- again!
- Bush's ride for wounded veterans scheduled for May