Police: Man dead after hit-and-run wreck in southwest Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Authorities are investigating a deadly hit and run in southwest Houston, and it's at least the third in the area this year.
Officials say a man was crossing the street at Bellaire and South Gessner when a vehicle struck him, and the driver did not stop. This is the third person in the last month who has been killed while trying to cross this section of Bellaire Boulevard. And with the pedestrian traffic in the area, it appears it could easily happen again.
One after another, our cameras caught kids and adults illegally crossing Bellaire Boulevard. Some stood in the middle of the road as cars passed by just inches away.
Early Saturday morning, tragedy struck again on Bellaire. A pedestrian was hit by car, knocked out of his shoes. The man died, and the driver kept going.
David Nguyen, a friend of the victim, asked, "After you hit a person how can you just keep going?"
That's the question Nguyen and his friends are still asking after Nhan Pham, 28, was struck and killed by a driver.
"It just really hurt, because he was real close to a lot of people," Nguyen said. "He was always smiling. Good attitude type of guy."
Flowers, candles and messages of love have been placed at the spot were Pham died.
Weeks earlier, another person was hit and killed by a driver on Bellaire near Corporate. Some blame the construction for creating blind spots.
Michael Lewis said, "As a driver you have to be cautious and aware of your surroundings knowing it's construction, knowing that kids can dart out."
The city of Houston has put up signs warning pedestrians to cross the road at an intersection with a traffic signal. But as we saw Saturday, there are still some taking a chance and risking their lives.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Texans reportedly release TE Owen Daniels 43 min ago
- Where could missing Malaysian jet be? 31 min ago
- Obama's surprise turn on 'Between Two Ferns' 23 min ago
- Suspected beer thief caught in north Houston
- Houston man was supposed to be on missing plane
- Valet driver crashes, totals man's SUV
- Money-saving sites for booking vacations
- Stars, Blue Jackets game called off after player collapses
- Bieber surprises with performance during SXSW
- Fast food workers share what they wouldn't eat
- Are you too good looking to get a date?
- Video: Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret 30 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 'Bachelor' finale, plus see new 'Bachelorette'
- Winning Mutton Bustin rider shares her secret
30 min ago
- Residents upset over planned housing project
26 min ago