Man's target practice leads to neighborhood lockdown in north Harris County
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A neighborhood and nearby schools were placed under lockdown during some tense moments Monday afternoon, as deputies searched for a reported gunman on the loose. But the suspect's wife says the whole situation was just a misunderstanding.
A call came in to authorities just after 12:30pm about a gunman on Barren Springs near Darbydale. An agent with the Department of Homeland Security heard shots as he was touring a home he's considering buying.
"The DHS agent thought he was under fire when he looked out and saw the individual and saw what he believed at the time to be a high powered rifle," said Captain JO Coons with the Harris County Sheriff's Office.
But after further investigation, deputies say that high powered rifle turned out to be nothing but a pellet gun. And those shots the agent thought he heard were directed at windows, say investigators, and a green plastic bucket.
"It's just something he enjoys doing," said Dionne Hooks, the suspect's wife.
Hooks says her husband is active military and an Iraqi war veteran. She and her husband live just a few feet away from the homes under construction and she calls this a big misunderstanding.
"He's not shooting at the windows. When he shoots at the target, it may stray and hit a window," Hooks said. "These windows have been broken since we moved in here."
Her 25-year-old husband was arrested and taken away by authorities. Hooks says it may be a little too much.
She said, "I understand the safety of the neighborhood. I understand the police are just doing their job, but you can tell a pellet gun when you look at a pellet gun."
Hooks will now face criminal mischief charges in court, and a frustrated wife at home.
She said, "He is in the dog house for a long, long time."
During the investigation Spring ISD's Eickenroht and Hoyland elementary schools were placed under a partial lockdown which was lifted after about two hours.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- After bombs, Boston Marathon under tight security
- Robbery call leads to wild chase in north Houston
- Rockets drop heartbreaker to Blazers in Game 1
- Woman killed in auto-pedestrian accident
- Group offers free prom dresses to girls
- Lohan says on reality show she had miscarriage
- SKorean president: Ferry crew actions 'murderous'
- Kraft recalling 96K pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Big rig driver involved in deadly 290 wreck will be charged
- Teen survives California to Hawaii flight in wheel well
- Country music singer Kevin Sharp dies at age 43
- General Mills scraps controversial new legal terms
- New study says laughing makes your brain work better
- Car hits packed Florida church, injuring about 20
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos