FAA: Pilot killed in fiery small plane crash near Pearland
PEARLAND, TX (KTRK) -- A small plane crashed just outside of the Pearland city limits, and burst into flames, killing the pilot, according to the FAA.
According to the FAA, a Beechcraft King Air crashed about 9am near Pearland Regional Airport while attempting to land. The aircraft had tried to land once and was going around for another approach when it crashed. The plane burst into flames upon landing, leaving nearly nothing recognizable in the wreckage.
"All of a sudden, I heard an engine rev real loud, then I heard a big loud explosion, then the window shook in the house," said neighbor Loretta Aguirre.
The FAA says the twin-engine aircraft left Austin at 9am and was headed to Galveston Scholes Airport when the pilot diverted to Pearland due to low visibility at Galveston.
Witness Raul Solis, who was working nearby at the time of the crash, said, "I was in the truck. I kind of ducked down in the cab because I heard debris falling on the cab and truck."
Solis said after trying to make sure his fellow contractors were unharmed, they tried to see if they could save anyone from the airplane.
He said, "We started extinguishing the fire, and we saw another flame, so we moved. We knew right away there would be no survivors."
Officials believe the pilot was the only person on board. His identity has not been released. The FAA and NTSB will continue their investigation.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
- Mystery shipwrecks explored off Galveston
- Woman ambushed while taking out trash
- Here's a reason to lock doors while pumping gas
- Teen reunites with family after being found safe
- Man shimmies through burglar bars at tattoo parlor 57 min ago
- Captain of S. Korea ferry among first to escape
- TDCJ van carrying prisoners crashes near El Campo
- Armed robber was never told to report to prison
- Photos: Know any of Harris County's featured...
- 'Real Housewives' star Porsha Williams arrested
- Police: Fight over woman ends in fatal stabbing
- Couple dead in apparent murder-suicide
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' sequel in the works?
- Chip in at Chipotle for Discovery Green