Masked gunmen ambush armored car guard in southeast Houston
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- An armored car guard is in the hospital with a gunshot wound after a brazen robbery attempt in southeast Houston.
Shortly before 2pm, the shooting was reported at a Wells Fargo bank in the 9900 block of Almeda Genoa near Minnesota. A Brinks truck pulled into the back of the bank and one of the guards was about to walk into the building when he was jumped.
Houston FBI spokesperson Shauna Dunlap said, "These two men attacked him, physically engaged in an altercation with the guard. During that altercation, the guard was shot twice."
He was struck in the lower stomach. The driver inside the truck fired at the pair of robbers.
"That shot scared off the subjects," Dunlap said. "It's unknown if they were hit with that gunshot or not. They took off running."
They ran to a waiting truck in which they made their getaway. It's thought a third suspect may have been behind the wheel.
The truck was recovered not far away, on a side street near the bank. As it turns out it had been stolen during last month's Houston Boat Show.
All this unfolded in front of a church next to the bank, where some church workers are increasingly wary of their surroundings.
"The area seems to be a little scary," said Andrea Daigle. "We're kind of used to dysfunction around our church, as far as a lot of banks. ... I try to be as careful as I can."
According to the FBI, the injured guard underwent surgery Thursday afternoon. The suspects did not get away with any cash. They remain on the loose, and the investigation continues.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, deborah wrigley
- Sugar Land man charged after Walmart lockdown 10 min ago
- Liberty Co. judge, wife injured in head-on wreck
- 4 killed, 3 injured in wreck involving taxi in Pasadena
- Teen denies peeing in Oregon reservoir
- 17-year-old fatally shot outside Katy-area strip center
- Hope this doesn't make you sick
- Galveston hosting annual Chicken Shack Strut today
- Authorities searching for sex assault fugitive
- Student pays off $25,000 college tuition with pennies
- Massive reward in brutally beaten dog case
- METRO temporarily suspending part of Red Line
- Behold, the pizza cake
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart 38 min ago
- Child dies in multi-vehicle wreck on 290