Man found fatally shot in taxi at SW Houston apartments
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A man was found shot to death inside a taxi at a southwest Houston apartment complex Friday morning, and now neighbors and taxi drivers are worried about their safety.
Police cars and crime scene tape surrounded a United Cab, shocking neighbors near the Camden Vanderbilt apartments on Brompton early Friday morning. The deadly shooting scene came after an apparent robbery, according to police. They say the 63-year-old taxi driver had just dropped off a customer when two unidentified men approached his cab. Police say there was an altercation. The driver was shot and the suspects ran off.
Neighbor Kevin Gunthorpe said, "There's petty crime, but this is a fairly affluent area. It's a very desirable area, so obviously murders are shocking anywhere but especially here."
Investigators say the victim was left slumped over in his cab at the entrance of the complex for about eight hours before a tenant noticed a problem and called 911.
Sgt. W.L. Mee with the Houston Police Department said, "What we're looking for now is, we believe there were people coming in and out of this apartment complex all night long. Somebody out there saw something. That's the person we need to talk to."
As police continue trying to identify the gunmen behind this murder, taxi drivers we talked to say they're worried.
Driver Felix Adewusi said, "When you think about what they have done, they have taken somebody's loved one. That is somebody's father, somebody's uncle."
Many drivers say they're now being urged to use extreme caution working in this area. Police say they are now checking surveillance video from the victim's taxi, this complex and neighboring business to help identify the gunmen.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, demond fernandez
- Thieves slash bank customer's tire, nab purse
- Missing 14-year-old girl found safe in South Texas
- Video from N. Houston pawn shop robbery released
- Armed robbers pistol whip McDonald's manager
- Nail flies into man's chest during freak accident
- Most insane job interview ever
- Plaza sale sparks parking problem for nearby church
- Lottery dates for 2015 Houston marathon announced
- Last week's Houston restaurant violations
- Jumbo jet to move through streets of Clear Lake
- Suspect: 'My girl is about to rob the store'
- Marriage fraud conspiracy lands 4 in prison
- Man held up on his way home from bank
- Reward to nab Most Wanted sex offender climbs to $13K
abc13.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos