Fight among up to 60 teens ends in gunfire in NW Harris County, injures one person
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- One person was injured after a fight that broke out among dozens of teens in northwest Harris County ended in gunfire.
According to the Harris County Sheriff's Office, as many as 60 teenagers were involved in this fight.
In the moments after the brawl, there were only officers and eyewitnesses left. The crowd broke up quickly.
"There were people scattering running down street, cars all piled up. It was insane," eyewitness Steven Leigh said.
More than 50 kids from neighboring Cypress Lakes High School took over the 19000 block of Sandelford, gathering by the bayou. Gunshots ended it.
"I heard 5 shots -- pop, pop, pop," witness Kevil Arnol said.
A 19-year-old had serious head injuries and Arnol stepped in to help.
"I saw the kids with the kid on the gurney and so I jumped out of my vehicle and said, 'Hey, put the kid in my vehicle,' and then a white truck drove up so I told him to throw him in the back of it and follow me," Arnol said.
LifeFlight eventually flew the teen to the hospital. It was unclear whether he was shot.
"He was hurt very badly, he was beaten very badly," Harris County Sheriff's Office Sgt. Richard Newby said.
Students say the latest fight was a carry-over from another on Thursday. Dozens were involved in that one too, and according to law enforcement, it is a recurring problem.
"They get together and start having fights and we try to break them up. Usually by the time we get here, one half is gone or have separated and we just have witnesses," Newby said.
They have already increased patrols, but now the violence is escalating.
"It's madness," Arnol said.
Authorities are still trying to determine why the fights keep breaking out. They believe some of the students involved have gang affiliations. Law enforcement will continue to have increased presence in the area.
Detectives not yet identified any suspects.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, jessica willey
- Two women found dead in Galveston County
- Three bodies found in rubble of burned down home
- Malaysia Airlines says plane missing
- What's being done to keep carnival-goers safe?
- Jimmy Kimmel ready to film show in Austin
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Teen in NW Harris Co. fight arrested after burglary
- Photos: Ladies' Night Out at RodeoHouston
- Man chasing $20 gets stuck in sewer for two days
- Mother of newborn found in dumpster charged
- Ft. Bend Co. girls softball league treasurer charged
- Last week's Houston food truck violations
- Ex-girlfriend testifies Olympican cheated on her
- Photos: Kardashians' fake home for sale