Official identifies sergeant at center of HPD's internal probe into homicide unit
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There's new information about an internal police investigation into HPD homicide. We've told you authorities are re-examining the detective work performed on multiple murder investigations. Now we're learning more about the sergeant whose work is coming into question.
Houston Police Officer's Union President Ray Hunt identifies the sergeant as Ryan Chandler. We tried to get his side of the story Friday but his attorney would not comment.
Chandler, a veteran homicide detective, has been with HPD for about 15 years, according to the police officer's union.
The Houston Police Department is not identifying him. Police Chief Charles McClelland on Thursday told us one sergeant had been "relieved of duty" because of issues with the way policies and procedures were followed in a single investigation. Sources say some leads were not thoroughly investigated. All this sparked a broader look at unsolved cases dating back years.
On Thursday, the chief defended the work, saying, "No one has given me any information or evidence that has caused me to lose confidence in the homicide division."
Still, all this is unsettling to some murder victim's families.
"We never have gotten over it," Rosie Ledesma said.
Ledesma's brother Daniel was shot to death while driving near his home on Houston's south side in 2008.
"I just hope that the truth comes out," she said.
Ledesma says her case was not handled by Sgt. Chandler but seeing that the investigative procedures and policies are in question in another case makes her wonder if HPD dutifully investigated her brother's slaying. She's trying to find a silver lining here.
"Maybe that way they'll potentially find something that they missed previously," Ledesma said.
Sgt. Chandler is on leave with pay.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, kevin quinn
- Shots fired during armored car robbery
- Neighbors upset over gun range near homes
- Sketch released in murder of women found dumped
- Murder suspect vomits during graphic testimony
- Live: Watch Eyewitness News live now
- Truck slams into fast food restaurant 12 min ago
- Suspect arrested wearing Cookie Monster onesie
- Ex-teacher accused of sex with student
- Police: Drunk man demanded bed to sleep 54 min ago
- Woman found living with dead spouse for month 51 min ago
- Two sent to hospital after gas leak at HISD middle school
- 'We are burying a body,' suspects tell police
- Suspect in violent House of Pies robbery charged
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born