Teen hero honored by City of Houston, church for saving girl's life
HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A 16-year-old girl was honored on Sunday for saving the life of a toddler. The City of Houston and the girl's church formally recognized her act of courage.
On Sunday mornings at New Pleasant Grove Baptist Church, as the choir is singing and members are worshiping, you'll find 16-year-old Jaelin Noel, at her post.
"At the church I am over the audio department," said Jalien.
It's a volunteer job with lots of responsibility and out of the spotlight, but today, all eyes were on the10th grader.
"I Jerry Davis herby proclaim today as Jaelin Noel Day," said Davis.
As she is being honored for volunteering, not to monitor audio, but to save a life.
"Many adults would not be quick on their feet enough to resuscitate a child," said Davis.
It was last year, in fact the day before Christmas when the 16-year-old walked up to a horrific crash then discovered a father and his 4-year-old little girl had been ejected from a pick-up truck.
Eyewitness News first met Jaelin at the scene.
"I felt like it was my duty to help because it's a child," she said.
She had just received her CPR certification the day before when she grabbed the child and saved her life.
"She wasn't breathing so I got down there and she wasn't breathing and then you heard a 'puff' and then you heard her breathing," she said.
Months later, Jaelin is still very emotional about that day.
It's the day her mother and others say she became a hero.
"I'm proud. I'm a proud mom. I'm happy she was able to do what she needed to do to save that little girls life," said Jaelin's mother, Lakisha Brown said.
Jalien says she wasn't able to get the 4-year old girl's name but hopes she will get a chance to meet her one day.
Take ABC13 with you!
Download our free apps for iPhone, iPad and Android devices
local, samica knight
- Sketch released in murder of two Houston women
- Teen leads police on high-speed chase
- Missouri City cheers on 'Resurrection' star
- North Texas family holds out hope for loved one
- Big names, fans converge on Austin for SXSW
- Information on price tags decoded
- Naked murder suspect caught on camera punching officer
- Sandy Hook shooter's dad wishes son was never born
- Stacy Keibler marries boyfriend in Mexico 3 min ago
- Shopping for a wireless plan? Check here first
- VIP treatment for military families at RodeoHouston
- Battery dead? Use the virtual smartphone
- Counterfeit health and beauty products arrests in NY
- Peru: Van der Sloot to be extradited to US in 2038